Saturday, July 18, 2009

A quick update and a Rant

Taking summer classes wasn't what I thought it would be. You stay in a class room for 3 hours a day covering an entire weeks worth of material in that time. Fucking crazy, man. I'm taking two classes: Principles of Microeconomics and Philosophy of Religion. And I'll be honest, the class I thought I would love is aight at best, and the class I thought I would hate ended up being fucking amazing. Micro is a lot more fun than I thought it would be, 'specially with the professor I have. The Philosophy class is okay, but its not asking the questions that I want to discuss and that aggravates me a bit.

I started dialogues with our college of business to put together an honors thesis as an undergrad. Funny thing is that no one has ever done this before in our college of business so I have a few professors already lined up and excited. Still, its a lot of footwork and I'm pretty sure I won't be starting the nitty gritty until next fall. That's all right. It gives me plenty of time to figure our just what I'm going to write about and how I want to do it. The basic question I want to ask is this: If an organization that is built to create a profit becomes too big to fail, is it too big to act in that same self interest? I'm pretty excited about it already.

So I've had surprisingly little fun this summer. I've been hanging out with Nick and Travis a good bit, and the three of us have also been gaming with Russel. Thats always fun. I've met up with Stephanie a few times, but she's off to merry ol' England in the fall. Simone and Naomi just got back from their respective vacations, so I've been hanging out with them a good bit. They've moved into an appartment together and I'm helping them move a couch in there tomorrow. Good times, good times.

So, now to my beloved Rants. The topic to today's fustrations is relationhships. I'm at the point in my life where I don't want another fling, I don't want a crazy girlfriend, and I want something serious. The problem is this: Flings are fun, I'm really fucking atracted to crazy women, and I've never pulled off a serious relationship. Its entirely new waters for me, and I don't like it one bit. But even so, the old way of dating just doesn't satisfy me the way it used to, so I don't think i have a choice.

But here's my real delimma. When dating for sex, you can never come right out and say that as your primary intention. It'll get you nowhere. Even if that's what you BOTH WANT, you can't go that rought. You have to be subtle and use subterfuge. No you think that when its clear that you both want something MORE than sex, it should be easier, right? No more of this rediculous banter and empty words, correct? Well that seems to be wrong on just about every level. Things simply get more complicated and the friendly battle becomes an all our war where either both sides when or, more likely, both sides loose and go home unahppy.

So why is this? If both parties want something serious, why is there this wall that keeps them apart? Why can't they simply be open with what they want and who they want to be with?

The best answer I have is that we are all afraid to expose ourselves at that level. I guess that's not a bad thing, really. I mean, if we were that open all the time, relationships wouldn't be that special. I guess you HAVE to build that trust if your gonna get anywhere.

Well, that's all I have boys and girls. Talk to you again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment